The Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office has contracted with GTL for the inmate phone system. This system monitors and records inmate phone calls. The Sheriff’s Office requires Attorneys to file a request form listing attorney phone numbers that will receive phone calls from inmates. These numbers will be automatically excluded by the phone computer from monitoring or recording.
Residents have the ability to make collect telephone calls from their living area. If a resident is attempting to contact you, a recorded message will inform you that the call is from a resident at the Mecklenburg County Detention Center.
During the recorded message, you will receive options to accept the call, refuse the call, be informed of the applied calling charges, or “block future calls” to your telephone number.
A citizen, who chooses the “block future calls” option, is provided with GTL’s toll-free Customer Support number. This number is also published on GTL’s Web site and on telephone bills that include resident calls. You will not be charged for the call unless you accept the call through keying in the appropriate option. The maximum length of the call is 20-minutes.
A recorded message will alert you when the call has reached 19 minutes and there is only one-minute remaining. All calls are subject to monitoring and recording. If you are having difficulties receiving calls from a resident at the Mecklenburg County Detention Center, your telephone number may be blocked by either Global Tel*Link, or your local telephone service provider.
To resolve any problems with receiving calls, you should first contact Global Tel*Link, at 1-866-230-7761 or 877-650-4249. Customer Service Hours of Operation are 24/7.
GTL can verify why the block was placed on your telephone number and can assist you in the process to unblock your telephone number. In some cases, they may instruct you to contact your local telephone company, whom in some cases can institute a collect call block on your telephone number.
ADVANCEPAY® PREPAID TELEPHONE ACCOUNTS
To accept calls from a resident at this facility, we recommend you create an AdvancePay® prepaid telephone account. Prepaid calling works by placing money on your phone number so that when your resident calls you the funds are deducted from the balance on your prepaid account.
To set up or fund a prepaid account, you have two options:
Visit ConnectNetwork.com to create a prepaid telephone account, add funds to prepaid telephone accounts, view balances, and more.
Call 1-800-483-8314 to create or add funds to an AdvancePay® prepaid telephone account.
The e-messaging service is available at this facility. To use the email service, you will need to visit Gettingout.com and create an account. Once you have created an account you can then deposit funds into both the "Resident's account" and/or your "Family & Friend account." Once funds are added, family and friends can start communicating with residents. These funds do not include making telephone calls. Family and Friends will need to go to ConnectNetwork.com to fund a resident’s phone account.
**Please note- fees may apply to all deposit methods. Specific terms are provided when making a deposit.
All professional visitors must be at least 18 years of age for regular/non-contact professional visits and at least 21 years of age for professional contact visits unless at least 18 years old and accompanied by a supervising attorney/LEO for the entire visit.
ATTORNEY CONTACT VISITS must be scheduled per instructions using the MCSO contact visit form no less than 24 hours in advance.
To insure attorney-client phone calls are not monitored or recorded, please fill the request form and fax it 704-432-1836 (Attention: Marrio Hayden).
- Please register online at GTL Visitor by clicking the REGISTER TODAY button
- In addition to completing the online registration through the link above, ALL ATTORNEYS MUST EMAIL MCSO via Marrio Hayden or Natalia Melkonyan with “ATTORNEY VISITATION REGISTRATION” in the subject line, and the attorney’s FULL NAME, STATE of Bar membership, and BAR NUMBER in the body of the email.
- Once MCSO has confirmed active bar membership, attorneys will receive an email indicating that their registration has been approved.
- Once registration is approved, the attorney may schedule one 25-minute video visitation per week per client in custody. Visitation times are every day including weekends, 8a-11a, 1p-4p and 8p-10p.
- Attorney video visitation must be scheduled at least one day in advance.
- All attorney video visitation will begin promptly on the hour and the half-hour (8:00, 8:30, etc.). Just as when an attorney visits the Detention Center for a face-to-face visit, the attorney must present a government-issued photo ID to confirm his/her identity prior to any video visitation commencing. As such, attorneys are encouraged to dial-in at least five (5) minutes prior to the scheduled time of the video visitation. If an attorney fails to dial-in for a video visitation within the first ten (10) minutes of the scheduled time, the video visitation will be terminated and the resident/client returned to his pod.
- Attorney video visitation will not be monitored or recorded.
- Unlike all other video visitation in which residents participate from a public terminal in their pod, for attorney video visitation the resident/client will be situated in a private room to participate behind a closed door with no one else listening or observing.
- Please note that space/time for attorney video visitation is limited: MCSO currently has only three private rooms available for residents to participate in confidential video visitation with their attorneys. Attorneys may schedule video visitation 14 days in advance. If it becomes necessary to cancel a scheduled video visitation, attorneys should do so as soon as possible so that the previously reserved time-slot may be opened up for use by another attorney and resident/client.
- FROM WEDNESDAY, MARCH 25th, 2020 THROUGH SUNDAY, MAY 17th, 2020 IN RECOGNITION OF THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC AND TO ENCOURAGE ATTORNEY-CLIENT CONTACT WITHOUT THE ATTORNEY HAVING TO TRAVEL TO AND ENTER THE DETENTION CENTER (though non-contact, face-to-face attorney visits at the Detention Center ARE still available), ALL ATTORNEY VIDEO VISITATION WILL BE PROVIDED FREE OF CHARGE.